Billy Cranston is a character from the American live action series Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and a member of the Power Rangers, serving as the Blue Ranger.
Consumed By Edit
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Season 1, Episode 12 Edit
In "Power Ranger Punks", episode 12 of the series, while their comrades Jason, Zack, and Trini do battle with the monster Terror Toad, Billy and Kimberly are kept in the command centre, having been afflicted with a curse that turns them into "punks". Kept in a transparent force field by Zordon while Alpha is sent off to retrieve an antidote, Billy and Kimberly are self-absorbed other than taunting their captors, and as such aren't keeping track of the battle. The Terror Toad repels a combined attack from the trio of battle-ready rangers in a show of strength, and then demonstrates speed and skill to evade a series of individual ranger attacks and land some blows of his own. Zack is almost immediately put down by a particularly heavy blow, and is evidently unable to get up for several seconds, during which time Jason suffers the same fate, and the isolated Trini is struck down and then eaten by the toad. Jason and Zack fire their Blade Blasters in response to losing their teammate, which is deflected back at them by a circular energy barrier that forms on the front surface of the toad's stomach. Another attempt by the pair to co-ordinate an attack is thwarted by the monster, whose taunts drive the rangers to attack individually again. Once again, the toad handles the rangers with ease, and eats Zack. After their curse is lifted, Billy and Kimberly are briefed by Zordon about the need to remove the toad's horn before trying to locate the weak spot. They arrive to help fight the monster with Jason, who summarily briefs them on the fate of Trini and Zack, without mentioning that the toad's horn was what unleashed the energy tongue that was used to eat the rangers. After dodging some explosive projectiles fired from the horn, Billy and Kimberly leap simultaneously at the Terror Toad, with Billy cutting off the monster's horn. The toad responds furiously, ranting and swinging his arms about. He opens his maw and launched a stretchy red physical tongue that catches Jason unaware. The tongue binds the lead ranger's torso and the toad tugs on the tongue, sending him flying into his gaping maw. Jason is unable to stop himself being pulled in, and despite kicking and thrashing his legs back and forth, the monster swallows him whole.Kimberly notices the toad's weak spot appear as he chews on Jason, and Billy starts to formulate a plan, before the pair are dive-punched by the surprisingly agile toad. Against Kimberly's protests, Billy then attempts to attack the Terror Toad on his own, but the monster launches his tongue, snagging him in mid-air. Without needing to tug on his tongue thanks to the ranger's trajectory, the toad easily pulls him into his mouth. Billy barely has time to kick and wail as the toad gulps and sucks him further in and swallows him whole. He proves to be more easily and quickly consumed than Jason. An imprint of the Blue Ranger's helmet appears on the toad's stomach alongside those of his fallen comrades. After this, Kimberly promptly aims her bow at the toad and, despite interference from Baboo, one of Rita's servants who put Billy and Kimberly under their spell, fires several arrows at the toad's neck. Four ranger-coloured energy spheres are regurgitated and fly away from the monster. The blue sphere distends outwards and retakes human form in mid-air, the Red Ranger falling to the ground alongside his rescued comrades. He joins the other rangers in laying down a series of successful attacks on the Terror Toad, who is then destroyed by Kimberly.
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Season 2, Episode 10 Edit
In "Welcome to Venus Island", episode 10 of the show's second series, Billy, along with the rest of the Power Rangers, battle the Invenusable Flytrap. During the battle, Billy, along with Jason, Zack, and Kimberly are struck by a beam fired from the Invenusable Flytraps chest, and they are sucked into the monster's stomach. While inside its stomach, he and the other consumed Rangers learn from fellow Power Rangers Trini and Tommy that the monster is weak to heat. Billy and the others then use their Power Coins to generate heat to weaken the monster and then fight their way out.
- Billy's Zyuranger counterpart is Dan.
- Billy is the last character to be consumed by the Terror Toad.
- Billy is uncharacteristically illogical in his approach to fighting the toad. This can largely be explained by the fact that his Zyuranger counterpart sacrificed himself to open up the monster's weak spot, which was only exposed while he was eating. This had to be changed so that the footage of the battle where Kimberly's counterpart was demorphed could be cut from the American show.
- Billy was released from the Terror Toad as a blue energy sphere despite being swallowed whole. This implies that the monster is still able to turn rangers into energy without his horn, albeit only when the ranger is in the toad's stomach.
- There doesn't appear to be any obvious room on the Terror Toad's stomach for Kimberly's helmet once Billy's helmet materalises there.
- The Blue Ranger helmet effigy is not tilted towards the centre of the toad's stomach, unlike the others. It also does not appear to as smoothly follow the contours of the toad's body, though this could be a rushed job by the art department.
- Footage of Billy being devoured by the Terror Toad is recycled in Season 1, Episode 45 "Crystal of Nightmares", in which Billy suffers a nightmare of his experience with the Terror Toad